Welcome to ArchGamers

The arch- prefix on words comes from the ancient Greek word for ruler or ruling. As such we are an invite only group of the greatest gamers! If you're looking to participate in our amazing community, you can apply by going onto our discord and PMing a member of the council.

Dated Graphics?

iXanon

Øŋɇ Ŵĩŋḡɇď ₳ŋḡɇᶅ
VIP
Local time
Today, 23:15
I alluded to it in my Blog and @Xyphien suggested I post a Suggestion, so here it is..

In my opinion the current banner and forum status icons look a bit dated, and aren't really adding anything to the current design. Don't get me wrong, pixels do have a certain charm to them - but combining them with the smoother feel that you have going with the rest of the design isn't doing it for me. The banner doesn't make much sense with the site's name either.

During my browsing of the forums, I stumbled across a post by @CasualCastiel (here). Something along these lines for a title banner would make a lot more sense and give your design a bit more of an 'exclusive' feel to it. I know it's a little big, and dare I say 'young', in it's current form, but with a few tweaks here and there you could well be on to a winner..

I'm not a huge fan of the emoticons either, but I'm guessing you had your reasons not to go with the default pack?

CasualCastiel

Knights
Staff member
Knights
Local time
Today, 19:15
I know it's a little big, and dare I say 'young', in it's current form, but with a few tweaks here and there you could well be on to a winner..
That's the nicest way someone has said my art sucks. ;P Nah, I kid, I know what you mean. I could have made it a little smoother and all, but with my neck issues I can't really sit on the PC long enough to make a proper picture (not that it would have been that much better, mind you. XD)

That said, I do think a nice new banner (preferably with art of someone who knows what they're doing ;) ) would be nice.
I like the current emoticons though. XD My favorite is: DX

sage

Council
Staff member
Council
Local time
Today, 11:15
You know, when I made that arcade stick thing, I didn't intend for it to be a banner or anything. I just made it to keep myself occupied for an hour. @Xyphien didn't ask me to make it either. I just did it because I was bored. So, I do agree that it doesn't match the sleekness of the current (and previous) theme.
The reason I made it an arcade stick was because the old Game Handout logo featured a little joystick. You can see it in the bottom left corner of this video. @Xyphien liked it so much that he made it the banner, and used it to make matching forum status icons.

I do think that CC's drawing does represent the spirit of the website way better than a joystick/arcade stick. I think the whole scene with the kids is too much though. You guys aren't kids, and I don't think it'd be too kind to represent you as kids.
If it were reduced to just the hand holding out a game, I think it would work well as a logo.

It would have to be blue, because @Xyphien loves everything to be blue. He has a strange obsession with the color. It's really unsettling.

As for the emoticons, we just wanted a custom set. I made some for @Xyphien in the past, so he asked me to make them again. We both like pixel art things and that's how I made the previous set, so it made the most sense to do them in (mostly) the same way again.
Plus, the original emoticon set wasn't blue. The emoticons have to be blue. Everything has to be blue.

Thanks for the feedback. You brought up an important issue.
It's nice to know when someone hates everything you make.

iXanon

Øŋɇ Ŵĩŋḡɇď ₳ŋḡɇᶅ
VIP
Local time
That's the nicest way someone has said my art sucks. ;P Nah, I kid, I know what you mean. I could have made it a little smoother and all, but with my neck issues I can't really sit on the PC long enough to make a proper picture (not that it would have been that much better, mind you. XD)
Stop giving me excuses and give me results! XP

I joke, I do really like it - but as @sage touched on and I tried to with the 'young' comment, in its current form it would slightly represent 'us' the community as kids.

As for the emoticons, we just wanted a custom set. I made some for @Xyphien in the past, so he asked me to make them again. We both like pixel art things and that's how I made the previous set, so it made the most sense to do them in (mostly) the same way again.
Plus, the original emoticon set wasn't blue. The emoticons have to be blue. Everything has to be blue.
As a former forum owner, I can totally appreciate that - I always liked to make as many little custom tweaks as I could from the default package, which is what I meant about having your reasons. They're not too bad, I just actually really like the default XenForo set and was intrigued to see why you strayed away from them.

What can I say, my eyes aren't what they used to be - I struggle a little to see the emotion being portrayed in smaller emoticons.

It's nice to know when someone hates everything you make.
I'm glad you put a strikethrough that. I really didn't want to offend.. :)

CasualCastiel

Knights
Staff member
Knights
Local time
Today, 19:15
I think the whole scene with the kids is too much though. You guys aren't kids, and I don't think it'd be too kind to represent you as kids.
I joke, I do really like it - but as @sage touched on and I tried to with the 'young' comment, in its current form it would slightly represent 'us' the community as kids.
They aren't kids, they're (badly done) chibis. :p Though I also agree it'd probably not represent the forum so much as just the spirit, and that it'd be too much to have it all (and I still think the art isn't enough quality to be a banner/logo even if they weren't easily confusing them with kids XD).

sage

Council
Staff member
Council
Local time
They aren't kids, they're (badly done) chibis. :p
LOL, I'm so sorry. orz

I made a quick little mock-up of what I was thinking.

Then I went through some similar logos on google. Something like these would also work:

Something with one hand giving the game to a second hand would be good too.

We need to get @Xyphien in here, but he's probably busy.

iXanon

Øŋɇ Ŵĩŋḡɇď ₳ŋḡɇᶅ
VIP
Local time
I really like where you're going with that, definitely feels more fitting. :cool:

Xyphien

Council
Staff member
Council
Local time
Today, 17:15
It would have to be blue, because @Xyphien loves everything to be blue. He has a strange obsession with the color. It's really unsettling..
Rofl, blue and white is the best color combination known to man! Plus, matching stuff tends to be better. If the forum is blue, so should a lot of other stuff! :mad:

As for the topic at hand, I'll make a post asking people to make some new banners. If someone makes one that looks good, and that everyone likes I will use it. Or if someone can come up with a new logo that'd be just as good.

screwthetrees

Knights
Staff member
Knights
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:15
But xyphien, you must have your l33t pro hacker theme with green-black theme!
just kidding but yeah, white and blue is quite a harmonic color.... unless it's midnight, then my screams kinda ruins that harmony >.<
To be honest i have nothing against the current logo, on the other hand i'm absolutely horrible when it comes to actual color blending as i have a habit of having different views of nice color blending.

sage

Council
Staff member
Council
Local time
Rofl, blue and white is the best color combination known to man! Plus, matching stuff tends to be better. If the forum is blue, so should a lot of other stuff! :mad:

As for the topic at hand, I'll make a post asking people to make some new banners. If someone makes one that looks good, and that everyone likes I will use it. Or if someone can come up with a new logo that'd be just as good.
We could turn it into a contest, and give the winner a nice chunk of GH change or a free game. That might encourage people to give it a try.

JYN

God of Gaming
Local time
We could turn it into a contest, and give the winner a nice chunk of GH change or a free game. That might encourage people to give it a try.
Logo someone said?! I think you got the right man for that... hehehe
I came up with some logo concepts. which in this case, I came up with 7 logos.
The Logos aren't link to the name what so ever because I didn't have any ideas...
Oh and banners?! I'm working on it.

Download the PSD: http://www.mediafire.com/download/62bczll0e6nqzil/Logo+Packed+For+GameHandout.psd
You will need Photoshop CS6 or CS5 to edit this.

Last edited:

About AGC:

AGC = ArchGamers Community. The arch- prefix on words comes from the ancient Greek word for ruler or ruling. As such we are an invite only group of the greatest gamers! AGC is an invite only group of quality gamers that are interested in both hardcore and laid back gaming.

Discord: